Daffodil Gift Guide | Unique & Alternative Gifts To Make Them Smile
Looking for something extra-special to show them you care this Christmas? We’ve taken the hassle out of your Christmas shopping with our very-own unique and alternative gift guide to make them smile! Featuring a magical selection of stylish, festive treats suited to all tastes and themes, from creative crafts to indulgent surprises and sustainable solutions that sparkle.
Following November’s COP26 here in Britain, the ever-changing weather patterns and increase in natural disasters we’ve seen recently here in Cumbria, our team at The Daffodil believe it’s more important than ever to consider how our shopping habits impact the environment. This year, we wanted to look at ways we can better protect the planet over the festive season, such as shopping locally, supporting independents, and sourcing eco or recycled options. That’s why this Christmas, we’ve included a selection of inspiring, local, and environment-friendly treats in our gift guide – ensuring that you can source something truly special for your loved ones whilst also doing your bit for the planet… Now there’s a #winterwin!
Grab a cuppa, snuggle up and take a look at our eclectic festive favourites that are sure to inspire your Christmas shopping this year:
What better way to get into the Christmas spirit than with a dose of festive crafting? DIY and craft gifts offer a more personal, immersive experience – enabling your loved ones to get creative, make special memories and craft something extra-special that they can treasure. There are a host of wonderful studios, crafters, artists, and home kits available here in the Lake District and across the UK. From chunky winter knits to contemporary ceramics and stunning festive wreaths, here are our top 3 Crafty Christmas Gift Ideas for 2021:
- BRIONY MACHIN CERAMICS | Based in our neighbouring county of Lancashire, Briony’s stylish mosaic workshops and DIY kits are a huge Insta hit! Since opening her studio back in 2020, her work and quirky posts have inspired over 150k followers to get crafty with ceramics. Choose from her creative workshops or DIY home kits for a special Christmas gift.
- WOOL & THE GANG | This trendy company’s aim is to inspire the next generation of makers through reinvention of the craft experience. This is knitting, but not like you know it! Discover their contemporary wool and crochet kits that would have Tom Daley awarding your loved ones the gold medal for their skills... #knittinggoals!
- BLOOM & WILD CHRISTMAS WREATHS | Festive home wreath kits to enjoy with a spiced drink... Sounds idyllic! This large DIY wreath is delivered as a blank canvas, ready supplied with fresh foliage and dried festive adornments. A beautiful keepsake that will add a touch of seasonal charm to any home.
For The Foodies
What better time of year to show them you care than with a tempting, delectable treat? Christmas is the perfect opportunity to gather, celebrate and indulge together with delicious festive food and drink. From seasonal sweets to winter warmers and artisan recipe ideas, take a look at our favourite foodie gift ideas for your friends, family, and colleagues:
- AFTERNOON TEA | An indulgent treat in the heart of The Lakes! Throughout December our famous Luxury Afternoon Tea takes on a festive twist, featuring seasonal delights such as turkey and bacon sliders, Rudolph's cranberry frosted nose, coconut snowman and much more… Best served with a glass of fizz. Spoil your loved ones with our finest delectable treat. Gift vouchers are available for our Afternoon Tea year-round at The Daffodil.
- SIMON ROGAN | For the ‘kitchen connoisseurs’… Simon Rogan is one of the country’s best-known Chefs, with two Michelin stars to his name from a number of years at the top of British cuisine. His flagship restaurant is based in the picturesque village of Cartmel right here in Cumbria - where he farms and forages a tempting selection of unique delicacies. Bring some of Simon’s most indulgent treats home this Christmas, with a luxurious hamper full of locally sourced ingredients from the kitchens of L'Enclume and Aulis, taking your home-cooked dishes to a new level of flavour.
- JAMIE OLIVER’S CHRISTMAS COOKBOOKS | Two ultimate festive guides featuring mouth-watering classics to tasty veggie alternatives. A must for your festive fare-loving friends and family. Choose from Jamie’s staple ‘Christmas Cookbook’ or his brand-new recipe book ‘Together’. Why not try your local independent bookshop or a second-hand seller that offer ‘like-new’ options?
Wonders For Wanderes
Know someone that loves to roam? You’ve come to the right place. Our 2021 adventure inspired Christmas gifts feature some of our local Lakeland favourites and sustainable options for all:
- WILD GUIDE LAKE DISTRICT | All the Lake District hiking, swimming and camping inspiration they’ll need… From the best-selling, award-winning Wild Guide series, this Lake District, Yorkshire Dales, and Forest of Bowland issue is packed with wanderlust tips, ideas, and stunning photography - ideal for those who love to plan new adventures and road trips.
- OLDFIELD DESIGN CO. WALK THE LAKES | Locally designed keepsakes to inspire their next adventure! Know a special someone that would love to bag those Wainwrights? These quirky illustrated maps help to track their hikes, make special memories, and date the day they complete the walk. These work really well in a stylish open, hanging frame - much like this.
- A YEAR TO ROAM | Green fingered, mountain biking, trail blazing or tree loving friends? Check. We’ve got them covered with an eco-friendly present from the Forestry Commission. Research shows spending time in nature, especially woodlands, vastly improves our health and wellbeing. Boost their mood and show them you care with an annual membership (along with free parking!) that also helps the nation's forests to thrive.
Does your special someone love to indulge, pamper, and take it easy? Let’s face it, no Christmas shopping list would be truly complete without a selection of luxury goodies especially for a dose of ‘you time’. Here are some of our festive favourites to add a touch of style to their winter pamper routine:
- WINTER WARMING YOGA | Spoil them with an early Christmas treat… Enjoy two days of yoga to stretch, warm, rest and revitalise in the rolling hills of South Lakeland. Restore by the wood-burning stove and delight in delicious vegetarian food whilst looking out over the stunning Winster Valley. Leave behind stresses of the year and find an inner glow just in time for Christmas! Perfect for friends, colleagues and couples.
- FESTIVE MUD RASUL | The ideal winter treat for two, our unique Festive Mud Rasul therapy is guaranteed to not only give your skin that new year glow, but also to leave you relaxed and revived. Choose from our indulgent seasonal Gingerbread or Chocolate Orange mineral muds for a truly relaxing therapy with a difference! This soothing festive therapy is not to be missed.
- MOLTON BROWN STOCKING SET | Indulgent bath, shower and pamper goodies from iconic British brand Molton Brown. this festive bestselling discovery set includes something for everyone, beautifully housed in a luxury gift box made from 85% recycled material and 15% tree-free paper. Stylish and eco-friendly… *adds to bag*.
- A LAKE DISTRICT CHRISTMAS | From local company ‘Inspired by Lakeland’ this little festive book is the perfect companion to a cosy Christmas by the fire with family. Revisit tales and yuletides from Cumbria’s past. A percentage of the company’s profits are reinvested back into local business and Cumbrian based charities – charming and kind all wrapped up!
- SCANDI STYLE DECORATIONS | These sweet Rocket & Fox wooden trees will add a touch of nostalgia to any home this Christmas. Each set comprises of three birch cut trees, finished in a cosy Scandi folk design. Ideal decorations for those on the road at Christmas time or for a home short on space. Perfectly petite!
- FORTNUM & MASON ORGANIC MULLED WINE | Treat them to a DIY traditional Christmas tipple at home. When the weather outside is frightful, let your loved ones delight in the wonderfully wintery taste of Highgrove's Organic Mulled Wine Spice Bag. All they have to do is pop the ready-prepared blend into a warming pan of wine, stir and enjoy. Delicious, simple, and truly festive.
Sustainables That Sparkle
- MILLICAN’S OUTDOOR ACCESSORIES | Stylish, bold, sustainable backpacks and adventure accessories lovingly created in the Lake District. Millican’s contemporary, understated range of outdoor products are the perfect gift for your adventurous friends and family.
- LITTLE NORTHERN SOAPHOUSE | Born in Manchester these quirky, handcrafted, kind to the planet soap bars smell great whilst leaving your skin feeling nourished - inspired by our beautiful northern landscape. Ideal as stocking fillers or for festive pamper hamper ideas. Find these little bundles of joy at Ivy Bank in Kendal.
- NEOM ORGANCIS | British brand Neom are known for their signature candles, delicate skincare range and luxury gifts. Their range of stylish fragrances are 100% natural, featuring a range of wellbeing benefits - improving sleep, reducing stress, boosting energy, and lifting mood. We particularly love their Scent to De-Stress Range Real Luxury fragrance, a 100% natural fragrance that expertly blends 24 of the pure essential oils including lavender, Brazilian rosewood, and jasmine. This gorgeous 3 wick candle has up to 50-hours of burn time and is hand poured using 100% natural wax. Indulgent, soothing & natural… What’s not to love?