The Lake District
May Must Do’s | Travel Tips For A Spring Staycation Full Of Spoiling
With the arrival of Spring now just around the corner, there’s no better time to plan a Lake District adventure - one filled with new experiences, plenty of springtime indulging and, of course, a much-deserved dose of R&R!
Here at The Daffodil, we’re making May our month of spoiling and adventure! Prepare to greet sunnier days in style with our new and indulgent Spa therapies, delight in our tempting Afternoon Tea, enjoy seasonal cocktails on the Lakeside Terrace and spend lazy mornings in your contemporary Room or Suite. But that’s not all…
Experience a true sense of travel wanderlust with our hand-picked selection of inspiring places to add to your staycation bucket list this Spring! Ready for sunshine, discovery, and magical moments…? Then take a look at our ‘May Must Dos’ and prepare to try something new this season:
MAY MUST DO’S FOR YOUR STYLISH SPRING STAYCAYTION...
#1 For Tranquil Moments
- Watch the Sunset | No trip to the beautiful English Lake District is truly complete without seeing the sun go down amongst the fells. If peace and tranquillity is what you seek on your staycation, then look no further… For awe-inspiring candyfloss skies, take a look at our favourite places to visit at dusk, along with Keswick’s breath-taking Surprise View.
- Try Forest Bathing | This restorative practice is the simple act of spending time outdoors, whilst embracing the therapeutic energy of trees. Breathe in the calming scent of nature and enjoy some long overdue downtime in the woods, whilst soaking up the beauty of the natural world around you. Leave your phone at home and escape from it all in one of our local forests or wander through the woodlands of White Moss right on our doorstep.
- Soothing Lakeside Strolls | Perfect for any time of day, there’s no better place to slow down and enjoy the calming sounds of nature than by the lake shore. Take a look at some of the county’s best places for quiet lakeside strolls and why not end your walk in style with a stylish treat on our Lakeside Terrace?
#2 For Adrenaline Junkies
- High in the Sky | From the unique concept of Cliff Camping to the longest high-wire bridge in Europe, there’s an adventure to remember for everyone at Honister Slate Mine! Located at the head of Honister Pass in the centre of the Lakes, Honister is the last working slate mine in England and makes for a fabulous road trip from The Daffodil!
- Zip through the Trees | Leap, swing and jump amongst the trees or explore the forest peaks on two wheels! With two fantastic Go Ape locations here in Cumbria, there’s no better place for an outdoor adventure! Choose from the Zip Wire Treks, Treetop Adventures and Segway experiences for a day out that you’ll never forget!
- Indoor Climbing | This sport, also known as Bouldering, has been booming in popularity over the last few years. In 2018, the Guardian wrote that Indoor Climbing had gone from being a niche activity to a ‘worldwide sensation’. With the likes of Zac Efron and Brie Larson becoming well-known celebrity fans of the sport, it’s no surprise this challenging activity has people moving out of traditional gyms and into their climbing shoes. Ready to get your heart racing and work those arms? Find a local centre near us here.
#3 For the Wanderers
- Trek the Fells with Alpacas | Explore the local landscape with this truly unique experience… Local start-up Alpacaly Ever After rehomes alpacas and llamas from all over the country, giving them the very best care whilst also bringing people in touch with the natural environment through outstanding Lake District trekking experiences! As featured on UniLad, The Telegraph, The Independent and more, if you’re an animal lover, adventuring with the Insta-perfect #woolyarmy is not to be missed!
- Lake District Paddleboarding | With so many stunning lakes, waters, rivers, and meres in the National Park, exploring from the water is one of the finest ways to enjoy your time in the area. In recent years, the Lakes has seen a huge rise in Paddleboarding – largely due to its accessibility, versatility, ease of use, health benefits and fantastic options to buy or hire… This sport is a staycation go-to for so many people! Take a look at some of the best lakes to choose for your paddleboard adventure, and why not bring a waterproof speaker and your sunshine-inspired playlist along for the ride?!
- Summit the Wainwrights | Looking to achieve something new and challenge yourself on your staycation this May? Then why not begin ticking off those Wainwrights?! First published in the 50s and 60s, Alfred Wainwright compiled seven volumes of A Pictorial Guide to the Lakeland Fells, featuring 214 Lake District fells to wander and explore. His ‘Central Fells’ are all accessible from our doorstep, making them the idyllic choice for a day of hiking (followed by a dip in our Thermal Pool)! These gorgeous books provide a personal and inspiring guide to hiking in The Lakes, and also make a stylish addition to your home!
#4 For the Indulgers
- Spring Spa Spoiling | Our award-winning Spa offers a stunning complement of therapeutic and rejuvenating face and body care therapies, using the very best products from top European skincare house Germaine de Capuccini, nails by OPI and stunning makeovers using Delilah Cosmetics. If you’re looking for a dose of relaxation and pampering this May, then our Spa Offers are the perfect treat! Choose from our unique Mud Rasul for 2, Head to Toe Pamper, Dreamy Legs with our Walkers Therapy and more…
- Sunshine & Scones | Tasty, delectable treats for 2? Check… Our tempting Luxury Afternoon Tea awaits at The Daffodil this May. Prepare to indulge with mouth-watering surprises and stunning lake views from our Lounge, Dining Room, and Lakeside Terrace. An artistic yet generous dining experience, our Afternoon Tea features the very best selection of local produce, along with a unique twist with Teapigs selection of fruit and spiced teas. Tempted?
- Foodie Heaven | If true dining indulgence is what you seek this Spring, then dinner at Simon Rogan’s award-winning, 3 Michelin Star L’Enclume should be high on your list! Located in the sleepy village of Cartmel in South Lakes, the flagship restaurant is known not just locally, but globally for its sustainable approach, use of hyper-seasonal produce and truly delicious dishes.
#5 For the Romantics
- Dark Sky Stargazing | As Spring brings warmer weather and clearer skies, there’s no better time to enjoy a spot of stargazing here in the National Park! The Lakes have an endless collection of secluded valleys and remote fell tops, with some of the darkest skies in the country, making it the perfect place for stargazing. Our changing skies feature the most spectacular displays of constellations, shooting stars, planets, and satellites. The National Trust has some fabulous stargazing tips on what to see when this Spring. Choose a quiet spot, lay down your blanket and relax, whilst soaking up the beauty above! To add a truly romantic touch, be sure to pack a bottle of your favourite fizz, a couple of glasses and some delicious evening nibbles.
- Couple’s Boat Ride | Grasmere is one of the Lake District’s most stunning and peaceful locations, making it the perfect base for an unforgettable romantic May getaway. If you really want to see another side of the Lake District and surprise your loved one, then why not try hiring a rowboat to explore Grasmere in style? Boats are available to hire for up to one hour – the perfect way to spend a sunny afternoon in the heart of The Lakes!
- Falling In Love | We love TLC’s Don’t Go Chasing Waterfalls, but on this occasion we have to disagree with the lyrics! The Lake District is home to a truly magical selection of waterfalls, from smaller, tranquil pools to powerful, rapid falls. Take a look at this list, featuring some of the finest falls to visit, and if you’re feeling adventurous, you can brave the cool waters by taking a plunge together! Cold water has been proven to have a range of health benefits, so why not give it a try this Spring?
Feeling inspired? Make new memories with a wanderlust-filled staycation at The Daffodil this May…
Rooms from £183 & Suites from £237 | Book now and save 10% on your escape!